- Not leaving the door open longer than necessary.
- Don't over fill the refrigerator and always check the fridge before you go shopping to avoid waste food.
- Make sure the refrigerator isn't running at too low or high temperatures and always defrost your refrigerator regularly if it isn't a self-defrost model.
- Never put warm foods in the fridge as this raises the temperature and it has to work very hard to lower it.
- Not always possible, but if your fridge is near a heat source or in direct sunlight, move it.
- When the time comes to replace the refrigerator look for energy saving models.
The real work horse in the kitchen on the go 24/7, which means it is consuming energy all that time as well.
Quick tips to save money include:
- The Kettle
A favourite appliance which can easily gobble up money. Make the kettle more user friendly by only boiling the water you need.
- Use the right size of pan to match the size of ring to avoid simply heating air.
- Use a lid on pans, and if you have several things to cook, consider a steamer, so only one ring is needed.
- Boil cooking water in the kettle rather than heating on the hob to save time and money.
The Hob - Whether Gas or Electric
- The Oven
- Only preheat the oven in enough time for it to be at the correct temperature for your dish.
- Keep the glass on the oven door clean so you have a clear view into the oven as heat is lost every time you open the door.
- If you have one, use a microwave to reheat food rather than a conventional oven.
The oven is one of the most expensive appliances in the kitchen so:
- The Dishwasher
- In my house, and I know also in many others, the dishwasher is an essential appliance. To make it work efficiently always run when there is a full load, or half if you have a half-load setting and don't leave the dishwasher on standby when not in use.
- General Cooking Tips
- Use up left over food. Leftovers can be simply and quickly turned into new dishes with a little thought and here are a few recipes for left over food to help.
- Cook larger batches of food and freeze portions for quick, easy meals any time.