Tomato and White Bean Casserole makes a wonderful side dish for roast and braised meats. It is also a great stand-alone dish for a vegetarian.
This tomato and white bean casserole recipe uses canned white beans but you can also use frozen beans as long as they have been precooked before freezing.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 75g / 3oz unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml /3 fl oz vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 400g / 14oz canned white beans, drained and rinsed, choose either haricot or flageolet beans
- In a large frying pan heat half the butter until melted and foamy, add the onion and cook gently for 2 minutes, add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes taking care not to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Cook for 5 minutes to reduce the stock, finally add the beans and stir. Cook until the beans are heated through (3 – 4 minutes), season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining butter, stir until melted then finally add the chopped parsley and serve.