Tomato and White Bean Casserole makes a wonderful side dish for roast and braised meats.
This tomato and white bean casserole recipe uses canned white beans but you can also use frozen beans as long as they have been precooked before freezing.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 oz/ 75g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 fl oz/ 100ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 14oz/400g canned white beans, drained and rinsed, choose either haricot or flageolet beans
- In a large frying pan heat half the butter until melted and foamy, add the onion and cook gently for 2 minutes, add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes taking care not to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Cook for 5 minutes to reduce the stock, finally add the beans and stir. Cook until the beans are heated through (3 – 4 minutes), season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining butter, stir until melted then finally add the chopped parsley and serve.