The whipped cream is still there and the crushed meringue, but the dish is finished off with crumbs of Ginger Biscuit or cake as the ginger flavour marries beautifully with rhubarb.
The beauty of this dessert is it is supremely easy to make especially if you use ready-made meringue nest.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 6 meringue nests or shells
- 1 quantity of roasted rhubarb
- 200 ml/2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp icing/powder sugar
- 2 thick slices of ginger cake or 2 ginger biscuits
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until it reaches slightly firm, but not stiff, peaks. Lightly crush 2 meringue shells, do not over crush, you want chunks of meringue, not powder. Fold gently into the cream
- Place the meringue nests into the centre of 4 dessert plates. Drain the roasted rhubarb through a fine sieve, reserve the juice. Pile a generous serving of rhubarb onto the top of the meringue shell.
- Top with equally generous dollops of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with cake crumbs and finally a good drizzle of the rhubarb juices. Serve immediately.