Shepherd's Pie is usually made with minced/ground lamb ( Cottage Pie is made using minced beef) and that meat has been replaced in this dish with a mixture of beans - you choose your favourites - to provide protein, herbs for flavour and tomatoes for added goodness. The dish is a complete meal in itself needing little else for serving but if you feel something is needed, crusty bread or a crisp green salad is a great accompaniment.
If you have leftover Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie, it freezes really well.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 900g/2 lb peeled sweet potato, cut into large cubes
- 6 tbsp milk
- 110g/1 stick butter, cubed
- 1 vegetable oil
- 115g/1 cup chopped onion
- 115g/ 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can mixed beans, drained, see notes below***
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
- vegetable stock
- 115g/ 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp coriander leaf
- 115g/ 1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- salt and pepper
- Boil the sweet potatoes until soft, drain. Place the milk and butter in the pan used to boil the potatoes, return to the heat and warm gently until the butter has melted. Add the sweet potatoes and mash.
- Season to taste and keep to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the beans, mushrooms and one quarter of the vegetable stock to the onion and carrot mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining stock, tomatoes, parsley, coriander and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Place the sauce into an 8"/ 20cm by 3"/7cm deep ceramic or glass ovenproof dish and cover with the sweet mashed potato. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the potato and bake in the heated oven for 30 - 35 mins until the surface is crisp. browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Ring the changes with different herbs. Delicious.