A Vegetable and Bean Soup recipe is the perfect soup recipe for cold days when you need to be warm and nourished. What could be better than a bowl of soup and crusty bread to keep the chill out? This Vegetable and Bean Soup is packed with healthy vegetables and beans to sustain you through the cold weather. Serve a large bowl as a main course, or a smaller portion as a starter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 can white beans, drained.
- 50g/2 oz unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 litre / 2 pints vegetable stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- Tiny pinch of dried thyme
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Sea salt and pepper
- 2 tbsps finely chopped flat leaf parsley to serve
- In a large saucepan or stock pot melt the butter, add the onion and cook slowly until translucent, stirring constantly. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes taking care not to burn. Add the carrots and celery and cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the stock, beans, tomatoes, thyme, sugar, bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer. cook gently for 30 mins, or until the carrot and celery are tender - avoid over stirring to prevent the beans breaking up. Remove the bay leaf.
- Place half the soup into a food processor and purée. Stir the purée back into the pan and season to taste.
- To serve, ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with the parsley.