Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 Ciabatta loaf
- 2 Medium leeks, trimmed, washed and finely shredded
- 2oz/50g butter
- 1 oz/25g all purpose/plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/¼ pt/150ml milk
- 4 oz/110g creamy goats’ cheese, preferably Welsh
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut Ciabatta loaf into ¾”/2cm thick slices. Place in a hot oven for 5 – 8 minutes to crisp and lightly brown. Rest on a cooling rack to keep crisp whilst preparing the rarebit.
- Melt the butter in a medium size pan and gently sweat the leeks for 2 -3 minutes to soften but not brown. Stir in the flour and mustard powder. Gradually stir in the milk and bring to simmering point to make a thick sauce.
- Stir in the goats’ cheese until melted. Season well. Generously spoon rarebit onto the toasted Ciabatta. Brown under the grill until bubbling and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of British Leeks.