True porridge should be cooked in a pan and stirred with a wooden spurtle (stick).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
- 110g/4oz pinhead or rolled oats
- 275ml/9½ fl oz water or milk or a mixture of both
- Place the oats in a heavy saucepan and add the milk or water.
- Bring to a slow boil, stirring all the time until the porridge begins to thicken.
- After approx 7 mins (sooner if the porridge is thick enough and heated all the way through) remove from the heat and leave to stand for 1 min.
- Serve in warmed bowls with either maple syrup, brown sugar, golden syrup or a teaspoon of jam as preferred.