Laver cakes are an essential part of a Welsh breakfast but can also be served as a side dishes with roast meats. This quick and simple Laver Cake recipe is adapted from a recipe by Gilli Davies in her book A Taste of Wales.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 4 oz/ 100g fresh or canned laverbread (seaweed)
- 1 oz/ 25g medium or fine oatmeal.
- 2 tsp bacon fat or lard
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the laverbread and oatmeal.
- Divide the mixture into 2 inch/5cm round and ¾ inch/2cm thick patties.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan on the stove top. Add the fat to the pan and heat to hot but not burning.
- Slide the patties carefully into the hot fat a couple at a time and fry quickly for 2 - 3 minutes on each side.
- Lift carefully from pan with a palette knife and lay onto kitchen paper to drain.
- Keep warm until all the patties are cooked.