This simple tart makes the most of the classic combination of pears and cheese. Use any crumbly British or Irish blue cheese, if you don't like blue cheese a Cheddar cheese works just as well. Serve as a main course for a light lunch with a salad, or as a starter dish. It can be made in advance and reheated for 10 minutes in a hot oven.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 220g/8oz ready-rolled puff pastry
- 110g / 4oz British or Irish crumbly blue cheese (use Cheddar if you don't like blue cheese)
- 25g / 1 oz walnuts, lightly crushed
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- 25g/ 4 oz melted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4
- Line a 4 X 10cm (4") tart dishes with the pastry. Lightly prick the surface with a fork.
- Crumble the cheese and divide between the four dishes. Cover with a thin layer of the crushed walnuts.
- Arrange the pear slices decoratively on the walnuts.
- Brush the pears with the melted butter and bake in the oven for approx 12 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and well risen.
- Serve with whole walnuts and a green salad.