There is no need to be afraid of making pastry, it really is so easy. The pastry can be made either by hand or for speed you can use a food processor if you have one. Both methods are shown below, you choose.
there are a few tips you may find handy, check them out before you start.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 200g / 7 oz plain flour or all purpose flour (see tip below)
- Pinch of salt
- 110g / 4 oz butter, cubed or an equal mix of butter and lard
- 2-3 tbsp very cold water
- Makes approx 300g / 10 oz pastry.
To learn how to make this pastry have a look at this quick Shortcrust Pastry Recipe Video
Shortcrust Pastry Recipe - Hand Made Method
- Place the flour, butter and salt into a large clean bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm.
- Add the water to the mixture and using a cold knife stir until the dough binds together, add more cold water a teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm / plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
Shortcrust Pastry Recipe - Using a Food ProcessorIf you have a food processor it can speed up the the making of the pastry and I prefer to use a processor as by using the pulse setting you will avoid over handling of the mixture which can result in hard, dry pastry - a common fault in pastry making.
- Place the the flour, butter and salt into the bowl of the processor.
- Using only the pulse setting, pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Avoid over mixing if you can,
- Through the funnel on the top of the processor, slowly add the water a little at a time until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Wrap the pastry in Clingfilm / plastic wrap and chill as above in the hand-made method.
Once your pastry is made then follow your recipe for cooking times and temperaturesQuick Tips:
In the US, use equal quantities of all-purpose flour and cake flour for a lighter pastry.
For more pastry making tips check out Tips for successful shortcrust pastry.
Not sure how much pastry you need - Use My Pastry Calculator
For a richer, more durable pastry - Rich Shortcrust Pastry Recipe