Rock cakes, like this rock cake recipe are one of the easiest and quickest buns to make. Rock cakes are great fun for children to make as they produce perfect bite-sized cakes every time. Serve warm with a little butter as a tea time treat. Rock cakes are one of Harry Potter's favorite tea time treats.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz/ 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp double action baking powder (US) or 1 tsp baking powder (UK)
- 4 oz/110g soft butter or margarine
- 2 oz/ 55g granulated sugar
- 4 0z/ 110g mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz/ 55g currants
- 1 medium egg
- 1 - 3 tbsp milk
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Oil for greasing
- NOTE: Some reviewers of this recipe have suggested adding 1 tsp mixed spice**
- Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large baking bowl, add the softened butter or margarine, and lightly rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and the dried fruit and mix so all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the egg and 1 tbsp of the milk and mix to create a stiff dough. If the mixture is still dry add milk a tbsp at a time until required consistency.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Using a tablespoon divide the mixture into 12 mounds evenly spaced on the 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 mins or until golden brown and well risen.
** Some reviewers have suggested adding a tsp of mixed spice. I like the addition but it really is optional. Try both and see which you like. If you cant find mixed spice outside of the UK am told pumpkin pie mix is a good substitute. Enjoy.