Do not cut your potatoes too small or they will disintegrate in the water. They should be cut into large chunky pieces (about a ¼ average potato for each).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 lb/ 500g floury potatoes, peeled
- 4 tbsp goose fat, lard or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F/220C/Gas 7
- Cut the potatoes into large, even-sized pieces (see the note in the introduction). Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water, add a sprinkle of salt and bring to the boil. Once boiling lower the heat and gently simmer for 10 mins making sure you do not over cook. The potatoes should still be very firm.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Gently shake the colander to fluff the outside of the potatoes.
- Heat the fat or oil in a roasting tin until very hot but not burning. Carefully tip the potatoes into the hot fat. Using a tablespoon coat each potato with the hot fat in the tin, this will help prevent the potatoes from sticking. Return the roasting tin to the hot oven and roast until golden brown and crisp turning the potatoes from time to time approx 45 mins.
- Serve immediately.