Meaty sausages wrapped in pastry - sausage rolls - are a perfect food whether for a picnic, buffet, party, lunch box or simply a snack. There are many sausage roll recipes but this spicy sausage roll recipe is my favourite. It takes the simple sausage roll and turns it into something a little more exotic with the spicy flavours of lemon, garlic, and chili.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp hot chili sauce
- 24 oz/750g sausage meat
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 24 oz /750g puff pastry
- Gently cook the onion in the vegetable oil for 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic and chili and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the sausage meat into a large mixing bowl, add the onion mixture and two eggs. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly and evenly mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the pastry to a 8" x 10" (20cm x 25cm) rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 2 strips. Repeat with the remaining pastry. Rest the pastry for at least 10 mins in the refrigerator.
- Form the sausage meat into 4 long sausages the length of the pastry strips. Place each sausage into the center of each pastry strip. Beat the 3rd egg in a basin and lightly brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Fold the pastry over the meat filling to form two long rolls. Brush the top surface with beaten egg.
- Cut the rolls into 1/1/2"/4cm lengths. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pack into your picnic basket or lunch box when cool.