Tiny pickling or buttons onions are available in the autumn and if prepared and stored are perfect by Boxing Day to eat with cold meats or pork pie.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Requires overnight soaking: 24 hours
Total Time: 25 hours, 15 minutes
- 2¼ lbs/ 1 kg pickling onions, peeled (see note below)
- 4 tsp pickling spices or
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, ½ tsp mustard seed, ½ tsp black peppercorns, ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 oz / 27g salt
- 35 fl oz/ 1 litre malt vinegar
- 6 oz/ 170g sugar
- Sprinkle the salt over the dry, peeled onions, stir to make sure the salt is distributed and leave overnight. Next day (do not leave longer than overnight if you want your onions to be crisp) rinse the onions and dry with kitchen towel.
- Place the spices, vinegar and sugar into a large stainless steel pan. Heat to dissolve the sugar but do not boil.
- Pack the onions into clean, sterilized jars. Pour over the vinegar and spice liquid to fill the jars, make sure each jar has pickling spices in and check there are no air pockets. Seal the jars and leave to cool.
- The onions will be ready to eat after about one month or better if kept for two. Once opened store in a refrigerator.