Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 bunch scallions/spring onions, finely chopped
- Pinch chili flakes
- 8 oz/225g pork loin, finely chopped with a knife or in a food processor
- 3 Â½oz/ 100g pancetta, finely chopped
- Small bunch chives, snipped
- Small bunch parsely, finely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 10 oz/ 300g shortcrust pastry ***See note below
- 12 quail's eggs, soft boiled and peeled
- 1 egg, beaten for glaze
- Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
- For the filling mix all the the ingredients except the quail's eggs in a large bowl, seasoning well to taste.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut 12 x 4"/9cm rounds to fit a 12-hole muffin tin, and 12 x 3"/7cm rounds for the lids.
- Carefully press the larger rounds into the holes of the muffin tin. Half fill each with the pork filling, top with a soft-boiled quail's egg then add another layer of filling.
- Brush the edges of each pie with a little egg and then place a lid on top, pressing the edges together to seal.
- Make a hole in the top of each pie, brush the tops with egg to glaze and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325F/160C/Gas 3 and cook for a further 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is cooked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
*** You will need to make 1½ times the quantity in the Shortcrust Pastry Recipe