Choosing the right potatoes is important though you can make mashed potatoes with any variety, you will simply have a different texture. For light fluffy mashed use a floury potato such as a Maris Piper or King Edward is always a favourite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 average size servings
- 2 lb / 900g peeled potatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 stick/ 110g butter, cubed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes until soft but not breaking up - about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and put to one side.
- Place the milk and butter in the pan used to boil the potatoes, return the pan to the heat and warm gently until the butter has melted into the milk.
- Add the potatoes and mash using either a potato masher, a fork or a potato ricer.
- Whip the mashed potato lightly with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.