Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- Pan juices from roast meat (see note below)
- 1/2 glass red wine or port
- 1 pt/500ml meat or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ice cold butter
Once the roast meat is cooked remove it from the oven, wrap loosely in aluminum foil and leave on one side to rest. The roasting pan will contain all the meat juices from the roast which are an essential part of the gravy. Pour away any excess fat before starting the recipe.
- Place the roasting pan on the stove top over a high heat until the meat juices begin to bubble taking care not to burn.
- Pour in the red wine and scrape all the juices from the bottom of the pan, reduce to a sticky glaze. Do not leave the pan unattended as the reduction happens very quickly.
- Add the stock and stir well.
- Strain the gravy through a fine sieve into a saucepan and reduce by one-third.
- Add the butter in tiny pieces shaking the pan gently until the all the butter is absorbed. Keep warm until needed.