Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 lb / 900g peeled potatoes, quartered
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 stick/ 110g butter, cubed + 1 tbsp for the sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp lard or dripping
- 1 cup/ 115g chopped onion
- 1 cup / 115g chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups / 450g ground/ minced beef
- 1 pint / 600 ml beef stock
- 1 cup / 115g chopped white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup/ 115g grated Cheddar Cheese
- Heat the oven to 375Â°F/190Â°C/Gas 5
- Boil the potatoes until soft, drain. Place the milk and butter in the pan used to boil the potatoes, return to the heat and warm gently until the butter has melted. Add the potatoes and mash. Season to taste and keep to one side.
- Melt the lard or dripping in a large deep pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the ground beef and one quarter of the beef stock to the onion and carrot mixture and cook, stirring constantly until all the meat is browned. Add the remaining stock, parsley and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mash the flour into the remaining 1 tbsp butter then add in small pieces to the ground meat sauce, stirring until all the flour has dissolved and the sauce has thickened slightly, approx 5 mins.
- Place the meat sauce into an 8"/ 20cm by 3"/7cm deep ceramic of glass ovenproof dish and cover with the mashed potato. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the potato and bake in the heated oven for 30 - 35 mins until the surface is crisp and browned. Serve immediately.