Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½"/4 cm fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 fl oz/ 150ml vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 oz/ 225g white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 15 oz/ 425g can chickpeas, drained
- 2 oz/50g creamed coconut
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro/coriander plus extra unchopped for garnish
- 3 oz/ 75g toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
- In a large skillet/frying pan gently fry the garlic, ginger and spices in 1 tbsp of oil. Take care not to burn. Add the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend in a food processor or liquidizer to create a paste. Keep to one side.
- In the same skillet used before heat the remaining oil and fry the onions for 3 mins, add the mushrooms and fry for 3 mins more.
- Pour the curry paste over the cooked onions and mushrooms, add the chickpeas and chopped cilantro/coriander. On a gentle heat cook for 15 mins.
- Finally stir in the creamed coconut and almonds if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Based on a recipe from the Vegetarian Society