The Irish love potatoes and there are numerous recipes using them. Champ, like Colcannon, is another way of using potatoes either from fresh or as a way to use up left over ones. This Irish Champ Recipe shows just how easy it is to make from scratch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1lb 6oz/ 675g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup scallions/spring onions
- 2 oz/ 55g butter
- 2-3 fl oz/50 - 75ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- Simmer the potatoes in lightly salted water until cooked - when pierced with a sharp knife the potato is soft in the middle.
- Finely chop the white part of the scallion/spring onion and roughly chop the green part. Keep to one side.
- Drain the potatoes and add the butter and milk and mash the potatoe until smooth and creamy.
- Add the finely chopped white part of the onion and mix well.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Serve with the green part of the onion sprinkled on the top.