Bread sauce is one of the oldest British sauces, dating back to medieval times. It is the perfect accompaniment to roast poultry dishes and is an important part of a traditional British Christmas lunch.
Bread sauce is quick and easy to make and also freezes well, so can be made up to one month in advance.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 10 fl oz/ 300ml milk
- 5 fl oz/ 150 ml heavy/double cream
- 1 onion, peeled and studded with 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 oz/ 75g fresh bread crumbs
- 1 oz/ 25g butter
- Place the milk, cream and onion, bay leaf in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat off and leave to stand for 10 mins.
- Remove the onion and add the bread crumbs, stir until smooth.
- Add the butter and season with salt and black pepper.
Cover with plastic wrap/clingfilm until required or leave to cool and freeze.