An apple pie has to be the classic dessert or tea time treat. It is the stalwart of baking and I have yet to meet someone who does not enjoy a slice of pie.
Practically every country has their own style of pie and this one is a traditional British and Irish one. Cinnamon for me is an option (i am not a huge lover of the flavour, much preferring just apple and sugar) but that is up to you and your taste.
This traditional British recipe is quick and easy and ensures a perfect result every time. Use cooking or Bramley apples for the best filling, eating apples don't soften the same way.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 200g / 1 2/3 cups all purpose/plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 110g / 4 oz, cubed butter or an equal mix of butter and lard
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- 700g / 1 ½ lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 110g / 4 oz sugar
- 4 - 6 tbsp cold water
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 25g / 1 oz butter
- Milk to glaze
- Place the flour, butter and salt into a large clean bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm.
- Add the water to the mixture and using a cold knife stir until the dough binds together, add more cold water a teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.
- Wrap the dough in Saran wrap/Clingfilm and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
- Meanwhile simmer the apples with the lemon juice and water in a large pan until soft. Add the sugar and cinnamon to the cooked apples. Remove from the heat and add the butter and leave to cool.
- Roll out half the pastry and line a 13cm / 7" pie dish. Put the cooled, cooked apple mixture into the pastry case.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid for the pie. Damp the edges of the pastry in the dish with a little cold water, cover with the lid, press the edges firmly together and crimp to decorate.
- Brush the top of the pie with milk and bake at the top of a hot oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with cream, ice cream or custard sauce.