A deep-dish pie filled with delicious apples and cheese. Can be served as a dessert or makes a super tea time treat.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 12oz/350g shortcrust pastry (see instructions below)
- 2lb / 900g cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3oz / 75g sultanas
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 5oz / 150g Lancashire cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a deep 8in/20cm pie dish or loose bottomed fluted flan case. Prick the bottom and chill whilst preparing the filling. Reserve pastry trimmings for the top of the pie.
- Place the apples, cinnamon, sultanas and maple syrup in a pan. Cover and cook over a gentle heat until apples just begin to soften. Remove from the heat and fold in the crumbled Lancashire cheese.
- Spoon into pastry lined dish. Re roll the pastry trimmings and cut into strips about 1/2 inch/1cm thick. Use these to form a lattice pattern on top of the pie and brush with beaten egg to glaze.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until pastry is golden and crisp.
SHORTCRUST PASTRY RECIPE
Recipe courtesy of the British Cheese Board