Once Spring is in the air food takes on a lighter, brighter feel. This Spring Onion, Pea and Mint Recipe takes on that lighter tone and is perfect for Easter, Spring lunches, and because it uses frozen peas, can actually be made at any time of year.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 - 6
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + extra for serving
- ¼ stick /25g butter
- Small bunch of spring onions/scallions
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 5 cups/750g frozen peas
- 1 cup/ 75g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 3/4 pints/1 litre vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp crème frâiche
- In a large saucepan, gently heat the oil and butter until foaming.
- Finely chop the spring onions/scallions, green and white part. Add to the oil and butter and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft but not brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the peas, the chopped mint leaves, and 3/4 stock. Cover the saucepan with a tight fitting lid and cook on a medium boil for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a food processor, you will have a thick puree. Return the puree to the pan, season with salt and pepper and add the remaining peas and stock. Cook for a further 5 minutes.