Brussels sprouts go from much-maligned to sophisticated with this recipe for shredded Brussels sprouts and smoked bacon. The Brussels sprout recipe is so quick and easy to do and even those who claim not to like the vegetable will be surprised at how delicious this is.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- ½ lb/ 225g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and outer leaves removed
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 oz/28g Butter
- 2 Shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 55g / 2 oz smoked Bacon cubes or Pancetta
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Finely shred the Brussels sprouts with either a sharp knife or in a food processor.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and butter (do not overheat or the garlic will burn). Add the shallots and cook for 2 minutes, add the garlic stir and cook for another minute. Finally, add the bacon pieces or Pancetta stir and cook for another minute.
- Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and cook for 5 – 10 minutes until the leaves are cooked through. They should be slightly firm, not too soft. Season with salt and pepper, add the pine nuts if using and serve.