Meaty sausages wrapped in pastry - sausage rolls - are a perfect food whether for a picnic, buffet, party, lunch box or simply a snack. Sausage rolls are so quick and easy to make and as they freeze really well, make a large batch.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes according to size.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 24 oz/750g sausage meat
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 24 oz /750g puff pastry
Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6
- Gently cook the onion in the vegetable oil for 7 minutes. .
- Place the sausage meat into a large mixing bowl, add the onion mixture and two eggs. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly and evenly mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the pastry to a 8" x 10" (20cm x 25cm) rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 2 strips. Repeat with the remaining pastry. Rest the pastry for at least 10 mins in the refrigerator.
- Form the sausage meat into 4 long sausages the length of the pastry strips. Place each sausage into the center of each pastry strip. Beat the 3rd egg in a basin and lightly brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Fold the pastry over the meat filling to form two long rolls then flip the sausage roll over so the seam is underneath. Brush the top surface lightly with beaten egg.
- Cut the rolls into 1/1/2"/4cm lengths - you can vary the length to the style of roll you want, for a canape size you may want to make tiny rolls. Place the sausage rolls on a greased baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pack into your picnic basket, lunch box, or simply eat and enjoy when cool.