Beetroot is best roasted with the skin on, which is easily removed once the beetroot is cooked. Take care not to break the skin when washing the beetroot and do not cut the roots off and leave at least 1” of stalk on the top.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 8 tennis ball size, fresh beetroots
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Maldon or sea salt.
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Carefully wash the beetroot under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut away the leaves making sure you leave at least 1" of stalk, preferably a little more.
- Place the beets in a large, roomy roasting tin, sprinkle with the oil, roll the beetroots in the oil to make sure they are well covered. Sprinkle with salt and thyme.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until the beets are soft but not shrunken. Leave to cool, rub the skin away with a piece of kitchen paper, cut away the root and stalks and use as desired.