The spicy butternut squash risotto recipe uses Arborio rice, if you want a risotto with more bite, then use Carnaroli.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 10 ½ oz/ 300g Arborio risotto rice
- 1 butternut squash (approx 2 ¼ lb/ 1kg), peeled and diced into 1"/2cm pieces
- ½ cup/100ml white wine
- 2 pints/ 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Gently warm the olive oil in a wide pan. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add the chilli and cinnamon, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir until all the grains are coated in the oil, they should be lightly translucent.
- Add the squash, add the wine and bring to a rapid boil. Whilst stirring, add the hot stock, 2 ladles at a time. Make sure the stock is totally absorbed before adding any more this will take approx 15 - 20 minutes. At the end of this time the rice and the squash should be tender but still have a slight 'bite'.
- Stir in the Parmesan and season to taste. Leave the risotto to stand for 5 minutes then serve on warmed plates with extra Parmesan grated on top.