It is simple to make and makes a great roast for a Sunday lunch served with Yorkshire Puddings or cold for a lunch, sandwiches or picnic.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 x 3 lb 5oz/ 1.5kg roasting chicken
- 1 stick/110g butter, softened
- ½ bulb garlic, skin on and halved across the bulb
- Sea salt
- 3½ fl oz/100ml dry white wine
- ½ pint/200ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat the oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6.
- Place the chicken breast side up in a deep roasting tin. Massage the softened butter all over the chicken breasts, legs and sides.
- Tuck the half of the garlic into the chicken cavity. Sprinkle all over with sea salt
- Place the roasting tin into the oven and cook for 1 hr 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the tin and wrap tightly in aluminum foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Place the roasting tin on a medium heat on the stove top and bring the juices up to a gentle simmer. Raise the heat to high and add the white wine. Stir the wine and juices thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, stir again and simmer until reduced by one third.
- Unwrap the chicken and add any juices released by the chicken into the sauce and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat strain into a warmed sauce boat or jug.
- Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce on the side.