Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + extra for serving
- ¼ stick /25g butter
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 5 cups/750g fresh peas, shelled (or frozen peas)
- 1 cup/ 75g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 3/4 pints/1 liter vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup/75g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Gently heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the chopped onion and cook on a gentle heat for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft but not brown. Add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the peas, the chopped mint leaves, and 3/4 stock. Cover the saucepan with a tight fitting lid and cook on a medium boil for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a food processor, you will have a thick puree. Return the puree to the pan, season with salt and pepper and add the remaining peas and stock. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty, fresh bread.