This version of Chicken Tikka is very creamy, if you like a drier version then check out my other recipe for a drier sauce. Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe also, if you like to watch and learn, there's a video to accompany the recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 4 free-range skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" /1 cm cubes
- 1" fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup/small handful fresh coriander, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Juice and zest 1 lime
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 10 fl oz/ 250ml light/single cream or plain yoghurt
- 1 dessertspoon tomato puree
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a large stainless steel or glass bowl place the chicken with the ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, chopped coriander, lime juice and zest with 1 tbsp of the oil. Stir then cover with a clean cloth, leave to one side for 30 minutes.
- After 30 mins, heat one tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan or wok add the chicken and cook for 8 -10 minutes until browned all over.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and put to one side. In the same pan heat the remaining oil and gently cook the onion and chili powder for 5 minutes. Add the turmeric and ground cumin, stir and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the cream and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree, stir then add the lemon juice. Cook for one minute more then serve garnished with fresh coriander. Boiled rice, warm naan bread or chapatis are delicious served alongside.