- 2 tbsp water
- 5oz / 150g sugar
- 1lb/450g washed, mixed summer fruits as available - see note below
- 4 - 6oz/100 -150g thin sliced white bread, crusts removed
- Whipped cream or /r/custard.htm">custard sauce
Soft summer fruits suitable for Summer Pudding must have a rich, strong, color and flavor. Great berries to use include raspberries, strawberries, red and blackcurrants, damsons and blackberries.
- Stir the water and sugar together and bring to a gentle boil. Add the berries and fruits and stew very gently until softened but still retain their shape.
- Line a 1½ pint pudding basin with the bread slices ensuring there are no gaps. Fill with the stewed fruits and cover the top with more bread slices.
- Place a saucer with a weight on top (a can of tomatoes or beans is ideal) and leave overnight in a cool place.
- The next day, before serving, turn the pudding out onto a plate and serve with the whipped cream or custard sauce.