A thick onion and mustard gravy is the perfect sauce for many meat dishes. With this recipe for onion and mustard gravy it is quick and simple to make. Am absolute must with Bangers (sausages) and Mash but also great with roast meats or poured into a Yorkshire pudding
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 750ml beef stock
- 4 tsp corn starch/corn flour
- 4 tsp cold water
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- Melt the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the onion and cover with a lid. Cook slowly for approx 10 mins or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar to the onions and stir well. Cover with the lid and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and boil gently uncovered for 5 minutes.
- In a heatproof jug or bowl mix the corn starch/flour with the cold water to a thin paste. Pour a little of the hot gravy into the starch mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour the starch mixture back into the gravy, add the mustard, raise the heat to high and boil for 10 minutes or until the gravy is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.