Leek and potato soup is a classic British recipe, it is a winter favourite when served warm, and cold, is perfect for summer. Leek and potato soup is also known as Vichyssoise, and is believed to have originated in France though there are many other claims on the origin. Wherever it comes from, it is delicious, easy and cheap to make.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 8 leeks, trimmed, washed and finely chopped in a food processor
- 2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 1 tbsp light and mild olive oil
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1.5l/3 pt litres vegetable stock
- ¼ pt/150ml single cream
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Gently sweat the shredded leek and celery in the butter and olive oil for 5 minutes to soften. Add the diced potato and stock. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Whiz in batches in a food processor with the single cream and seasonings to a coarse consistency. Top with strips of cooked leek and serve with warm crusty granary bread.
Based on a recipe from British Leeks.