Hot Cross Buns are a special Easter treat, full of dried fruits and spices. All those delicious flavours make a great bread and butter pudding when mixed with the delicious custardy sauce.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 55g / 2 oz soft butter
- 6 hot cross buns, halved and cut diagonally across
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp golden sultanas
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 350 ml / 12 fl oz milk
- 50 ml / 2 fl oz double cream/ heavy cream
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 25g / 1 oz caster / fine sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease a 1 litre / 2 pint pie dish with a little butter. Take each piece of hot cross bun and spread thickly with the remaining butter
- Cover the base of the pie dish with overlapping triangles of bun pieces, butter side up. Lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon and a few raisins and sultanas. Repeat this layer one more time or until the dish is filled, sprinkle a few raisins and sultanas on top.
- In a saucepan gently heat the milk and cream, taking care not to boil.
- In a large baking bowl beat the eggs with 3/4 sugar and the vanilla extract until light, airy and pale in colour. Pour the warm milk over the eggs and continue beating until all the milk is added.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly through a sieve, evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the surface with your hand to push the bread into the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the surface then leave to one side for 30 mins.
- Bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 - 45 mins, until the surface is golden brown and the pudding well risen and the egg is set. Serve hot.