Birmingham and the Midlands are considered the home of Faggots in Britain, but with the revival of Faggots, they are now eaten all over the UK.
Faggots are traditionally eaten with mushy peas, mashed potatoes and onion gravy.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 4 oz/110g pork shoulder, roughly chopped
- 4 oz/ 110g pig's liver, roughly chopped
- 8 oz/250g fatty belly pork, roughly choppped
- 4 oz/110g bacon scraps
- 4 oz/ 110g bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Caul fat*** or streaky bacon
Serves 4Preheat the oven to 445°F/170°C/Gas 3
- Mince all the roughly chopped meats, if you don't have a mincer, then chop in a food processor.
- Place the minced meat into a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, onion, herbs, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into balls.
- Wrap each ball in caul or streaky bacon. Make sure the caul or bacon overlaps as it will seal as it cooks and hold the faggots together.
- Place the faggots onto a baking sheet and bake in the hot oven for 50 - 60 minutes.
What to Serve with FaggotsTraditionally, faggots would be served, hot from the oven with creamy, mashed potatoes, and peas, preferably mushy peas and lashings of rich, thick onion gravy.
***Caul is the membrane which holds in animal organs and it makes a good container for the faggots. If you can't get caul, then use strips of streaky bacon.