These burgers are delicious when cooked on the barbie if the sun shining, or using a griddle or heavy based frying pan. The success to a good burger is to not overcook the meat which will make it dry and tough, and leave the burger to rest before serving.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the Burgers
- 500g 1 lb 2oz) round steak, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated onion
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small soft multi-seed white rolls
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 little Gem lettuce, broken into leaves
- 3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- For the guacamole:
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tomato peeled, de seeded and chopped
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the steak, onion, mustard and coriander in a food processor, add a half a teaspoon of salt then blend together until all the ingredients are combined, be careful not to over-mix. Divide the mixture into 6, then lightly dampen your hands with cold water and shape the mixture into six burgers. Place the burgers onto a plate, cover with clingfilm and pop them into the fridge until needed, this also helps them to firm them up.
- Preheat a griddle or frying pan (if using) on a high heat for about 4 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and brush the heated pan with olive oil. Add the burgers.
- Using a spatula, lightly press down onto them, to make sure each burger is in full contact with the griddle. Cook for around 3-4 minutes on each side or to your personal liking – you may need to cook them in two batches.
- To make the guacamole: cut the avocado in half, scoop out the flesh and mash roughly with a fork. Add the garlic, the lime juice and tomato and mix thoroughly. Finally add the Tabasco to your taste and season lightly.
- Once the burgers are cooked place onto another plate. Wipe the griddle pan clean with kitchen paper. Halve your white rolls and lightly toast in the griddle pan.
- Smear the bottom of each bun with a little mayonnaise, top with the lettuce, tomato slices, red onion and finally a burger. Add a good dollop of the guacamole. Scatter over the coriander and place the white roll tops to the side to serve