Bubble and Squeak is also known as Bubble or Fry. In Ireland Colcannon is made from mashed potatoes, cabbage or Kale and onion and similar to Bubble and Squeak as is Rumbledethumps in Scotland.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- Leftover mashed potato
- Any leftover vegetables, cabbage, swede, carrots, peas, Brussels Sprouts, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fried bacon pieces (optional)
- In a large frying pan melt the butter, add the chopped onion and fry gently for 3 mins or until soft.
- Turn the heat up slightly and add the mashed potato and vegetables. Fry for 10 mins turning over in the melted butter two or three times ensuring the potato and vegetables are thoroughly reheated plus you are aiming to brown the outside edges but not to burn the bubble and squeak.
- Press the potato mixture on to the base of the pan with a spatula and leave to cook for 1 min. Flip over and repeat.
An alternative is to mix the potato and vegetables and form into small patties then fry as above.
Bubble and squeak makes a lovely lunch with a fried egg on top.