For a light bread work quickly and don't over process. A light hand will guarantee success.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 9 oz/250g strong white flour
- 9 oz/250g wholegrain wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 18 fl oz/500ml buttermilk
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and bicarbonate of soda. Add the buttermilk and stir to form a loose dough.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Knead the dough gently until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a ball and flatten to roughly 5cm/ 2in thick. Using a sharp knife lightly slash the surface of the dough in the shape of a cross.
- Place the dough on a greased, baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30-35 mins until well risen and a light brown color.
- Leave to cool.