Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 5 ½ oz/150g bar dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 7 oz/200g butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp (54 ml) Baileys Irish Cream
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 6 oz/175g super fine/caster sugar
- 4oz /125g self-raising flour
- 3 ½ oz/100g ground almonds
- 3 oz/ 90g pecans, chopped
- FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 3 tbsp Baileys Irish Cream
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 6 oz/175g Soft dark brown sugar
- 2 ¾ oz/75g butter
- 2 oz/55g Pecan nuts
Serves 6 - 8
You will need a greased 13”/ 33cm x 8”/20cm x 2 ½”/ 6cm deep ovenproof tin or dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4.
- In a pan place the chocolate, cocoa, butter and Baileys. Gently heat until melted, stirring constantly, then leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Continue whisking and add the sugar spoon by spoon, until it has all been incorporated.
- Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate, beating well using a wooden spoon. Then immediately pour the chocolate mixture onto the egg whites and gently fold in using a large metal spoon.
- Add the chopped pecans, ground almonds and sieve over the flour, and fold in again.
- Spoon into the greased baking tin or dish and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the cake is risen and springy to touch.
- For the sauce, put all the ingredients in a pan and heat gently, stirring, over a low flame. Once the sugar has dissolved, simmer the sauce for 3-4 minutes.
- To serve pour the sauce over the cake and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and hot. Serve with a jug of chilled pouring cream.
Recipe Courtesy of Baileys.