Raspberry and Chocolate Meringue Melt is a luscious dessert and perfect for a special treat, and especially good at Easter. It is lightly chocolate flavored, so not too heavy, and with cream and raspberries will round off any meal splendidly.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 5 large egg whites
- 10 oz/275g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 9½ fl oz/ 284ml pot double cream
- 3½ fl oz/100ml Baileys Irish Cream
- 10 oz/300g fresh raspberries
- A little cocoa to dust
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/170°C/Gas 3. Put the egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer, with a whisk attachment (or you can use a hand held electric whisk). Whip the eggs until they form stiff peaks. Using a dessert spoon add the sugar, a spoonful at a time, mixing between additions, until it has all been incorporated. Then add the cocoa a spoonful at a time, followed lastly by the vinegar.
- Divide between 3 baking sheets, each lined with baking parchment and marked with a circle measuring about 8”/20cm. Spread the mixture out to fit the circles then bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Then, turn down the heat to 275°F/140°C/ Gas 1 and continue to cook for 50 minutes. Turn the oven off, leaving the meringue to cool completely before removing.
- When the meringue is cool and you are ready to serve, whip the cream until it is reasonably stiff without seeming ‘over whipped’. Add the Baileys and whisk again, then stir in the raspberries. Place a disc on the serving platter and spoon over half of the cream and raspberry mixture. Top with a second disc and spoon over the rest of the cream, before topping with the final disc and dusting with cocoa. Serve immediately.