Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 300g / 10oz Madeira or sponge cake, halved and cut into thick slices
- 300g / 10 oz fresh strawberries, frozen are fine but defrost thoroughly
- 6 tbsp sweet sherry
- 500ml/ 2 cups thick custard, ready made or using custard powder
- 500ml/ 2 cups double or whipping cream, softly whipped
- Handful, toasted, flaked almonds
The trifle can be made in one large glass dish or into individual glasses
- Line the bottom of the dish or glasses with the cake slices.
- Slice the strawberries if fresh and reserve a few for decoration (if using frozen,leave whole) then layer the remaining evenly over the cake. Press lightly with a fork to release the juices. Sprinkle with the sherry.
- Spoon over the custard, again in a thick layer.
- Finish with a thick layer of whipped cream either spooned over or piped using a piping bag.
- Decorate with strawberry slices and a few toasted, flaked, almonds.
Omit the sherry if serving to children.