Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 160g/ 6 oz Madeira, sponge or pound cake, halved and cut into thick slices
- 1 160g packet trifle sponges
- 3 tbsp sweet sherry
- 1 x 135g block jelly made up to one pint ***** (see note below)
- 300g/10 oz fresh strawberries or raspberries, or defrosted frozen ones plus a few extra for decoration.
- 500ml/ 2 cups thick home made custard following this recipe or,
- 1 500 ml packet ready made custard.
- 500ml/ 2 cups double or whipping cream, softly whipped
- Handful flaked almonds, toasted (optional)
The trifle can be made in one large glass dish or into individual glasses
- Line the bottom of the dish or glasses with the cake slices or trifle sponges.Sprinkle with the sherry and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- If using fresh strawberries, slice thickly (reserve a few for decoration), if using frozen leave whole. Otherwise, lay the fruit evenly over the cake. Press lightly with a fork to release the juices.
- Pour over the liquid jelly making sure it covers the sponge. Place the dish into the refrigerator and leave until the jelly is set.
- Once set, spoon over the custard, again in a thick layer.
- Finally, finish with a thick layer of whipped cream either spooned over or piped using a piping bag.
- Decorate with strawberry slices or raspberries and toasted, flaked, almonds if using.
Omit the sherry if serving to children.