This version is quick and easy to make using ready-made custard or make with custard powder following the packet instructions. Jelly may not always be used but no Trifle is complete without custard. Use Scottish raspberries if you can for complete authenticity.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 300g/10oz pound cake/ sponge cake, halved and cut into thick slices
- 300g/ 10 oz fresh raspberries, frozen are fine but defrost thoroughly
- 6 tbsp whisky or Drambuie
- 2 cups/500ml cups thick, ready made, custard sauce
- 2 cups/500ml heavy/double or whipping cream, softly whipped
- Handful, toasted, flaked almonds
The trifle can be made in one large glass dish or into individual glasses
- Line the bottom of the dish or glasses with the cake slices.
- Reserve a few raspberries for decoration and layer the remaining evenly over the cake. Sprinkle with the whisky.
- Spoon over the custard, again in a thick layer.
- Finish with a thick layer of whipped cream either spooned over or piped using a piping bag.
- Decorate with raspberries and a few toasted, flaked, almonds.
Omit the whiskey if serving to children.