A Rhubarb & Champagne Jelly recipe is quick and simple, yet sophisticated dessert. Though Rhubarb is more often thought of as an ingredient of "nursery food" in puddings, here it shines as a delicate jelly with Champagne. The Rhubard and Champagne Jelly recipe is adapted from Mrs Beetons recipe for Rhubarb Jelly from her famous tome, Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1lb 10oz/750g fresh rhubarb, washed, cut into 1"/2cm/ chunks
- ½ cup/110g fine sugar
- 2 pints/1 liter/ water
- ½ pint/250ml Champagne
- 3 tsp/10g or 6 sheets gelatin, soaked in a little warm water
- Place the rhubarb in a non-aluminum pan, add the sugar and water and bring gently to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes then remove from the heat and leave until completely cold.
- Pour the rhubarb into a fine sieve set over a large bowl. Leave the juice to drip for 10 minutes. Do not force the rhubarb through. Measure 500ml/1 pint of the strained juice and place into a small pan.
- Dissolve the powdered gelatin in 3 tbsp water - if using leaf gelatin, remove from the warm water with your fingers gently squeezing away any excess water. Add the gelatin to the rhubarb juice in the pan and heat gently until the gelatin is completely dissolved. DO NOT BOIL. Leave to cool for 10 minute then add the Champagne and mix gently.
- Divide between four glasses and chill for at least four hours.