In this Christmas Bakewell Tart, the jam has been replaced by a thick, meaty layer of sweet mincemeat and just a tiny pinch of mixed spice in the frangipane topping. This gives the tart a really Christmas flavour and also results in a more moist, almost sponge like cake. It really is delicious and too good to keep just for Christmas.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- For the Pastry
- 450 g / 1 lb shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- For the Frangipane
- ½ jar mincemeat, homemade or shop bought
- 150g butter / 1 1/2 sticks
- 150g / 3/4 cup caster / super fine sugar
- 3 medium eggs plus 1 yolk,, beaten
- 150g / 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- Tiny pinch mixed spice (or pumpkin pie spice mix)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds (optional)
Prepare the Tart Case
- On a lightly floured board, roll out the pastry to about 5mm / ¼ in thick. Grease and line a 20cm / 8 in deep tart tin with the pastry. Trim the top edge and crimp to make it look neat if you wish. Prick the base all over with a fork, then chill the pastry in the refrigerator for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Line the tart case with a sheet of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans (I also use rice if I don't have any beans). Cook the pastry shell for 15 minutes or until the pastry is a pale golden colour.
- Spread the base of the case with the mincemeat to create a good thick layer, then put to one side to cool.
Prepare the Frangipane
- Using an electric hand whisk or a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until it is whipped and lighter in colour.
- With the mixer still running, and the beaten egg and egg yolk a little at a time, keep the mixer running throughout and make sure all the egg is incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon or fine spatula, carefully fold in the ground almond, lemon zest and mixed spice.
- Carefully spread the frangipane mixture on top of the mincemeat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. If using, sprinkle the flaked almonds on to the surface after 20 mins and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from the oven.
- Serve warm or cold with custard, a little ice cream or whipped cream, as you like.