Treacle Tart is full of delicious, sweet golden syrup and black treacle. If you can't find golden syrup then use corn syrup. And, likewise, can't find black treacle dark molasses will do.
This may be a rich dessert but don't worry you only need a small slice to enjoy the delicious taste.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 350g shortcrust pastry
- 300g /10oz golden syrup
- 1 heaped tbsp black treacle
- Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 25g /1oz fresh bread crumbs
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4
- Roll out the pastry and line a lightly greased 23cm /9 inch loose bottomed tart tin then place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix together the golden syrup and treacle with the lemon zest and juice. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add to the treacle mixture. Finally stir in the bread crumbs.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the prepared tart case.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the crust and filling are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Serve warm with crème fraiche which balances really well with the sweetness of the tart or a good vanilla ice cream.