Tattie Scones are sometimes called potato scones and you may also hear them called fadge or potato bread in Ireland.
They are quick and easy to make and are a useful way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1lb/500g potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 oz/30g butter, melted plus extra for greasing
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 medium egg
- 4 oz/125g flour, plus a little extra for rolling out
- 1tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 395°F/200°C/Gas 6
- Place the mashed potato in a large baking bowl and add all the other ingredients to form a sticky dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to approx ½ inch/1 cm thickness. Cut into saucer sized rounds then score a cross into the dough to mark 4 equal wedges.
- Grease a baking sheet with butter and bake the scones for 15 minutes until golden brown and risen. The scones can also be cooked on the stove top on a griddle or heavy based frying pan. Cook the scones 5 minutes on either side until golden and risen
- Eat while warm.