They are quick and easy to make and make a delicious tea time treat or eaten for breakfast.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 oz/ 55g butter
- 15 fl oz/ 450 ml warm buttermilk
- 10 oz/ 275g all purpose/plain flour
- 3 oz/ 75g sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Stir the butter into the warmed buttermilk until melted. Gradually pour the milk and butter into the flour and beat well. Leave the mixture to stand (for a few hours if possible)for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir the sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vinegar into the beaten eggs. Pour this mixture into the flour and milk mixture and beat well to form a smooth batter.
- Heavily grease a griddle or hot-stone and heat. Drop the batter, a tablespoon at a time onto the heated griddle and bake over a moderate heat until golden brown on both sides, then keep warm. Continue until all the batter is used up.
Based on a recipe by Gilli Davies from her book Celtic Cuisine.