Don't be confused by pastry cream which is a similar recipe to custard sauce. Pastry cream is much thicker and is used in patisserie making, it is not a pouring sauce like custard.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 fl oz/150ml milk
- 8½ fl oz/250ml heavy/double cream
- 50g fine/cater sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds removed
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan place the milk and cream and one tsp of the sugar, bring to a gentle simmer, once simmering, turn the heat to its lowest.
- In a large heat proof bowl, place the sugar and the egg yolks and with a hand whisk, whisk until light, creamy and paler in colour.
- Slowly, whilst still whisking, pour the warmed milk into the egg mixture.
- Strain the custard sauce through a fine sieve, back into the saucepan, add the seeds from the vanilla pod. Over a low heat, stir constantly and gradually the custard will thicken. Do not speed this process up or you run the risk of the sauce curdling, and even worse burning.
- Finally, once thickened, remove from the heat and pass through a sieve again.